Re: Floppy handling

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 06:53:44 EST

From: "Jamie Lokier" <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>

> It might be reasonable to implement: (a) if any files are open, lock the
> disk; (b) for floppies locked disk == keep the light on; (c) process
> current directories don't count towards (a) (but open handles do).

Sounds good, especially since it avoids rewriting the mount code and half of
the buffer cache.

All new hardware supports (a).
(b) Is it possible to keep the light on without contact between the disk
head and the floppy? Several of my test floppy disks died because the disk
head was constantly scratching over one track while I was single stepping
with a kernel debugger.

--
    Manfred