Re: Your IDE command stuff (was Re: OT: IDE controlers)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 04:54:27 EST

Andries,

Ask Jim Miller of Castlewood ORB 2.2 about this product.

I asked for sample product to test and certify.
Castlewood said NO samples, thus Linux will not have support.
The silly think is they are less than 20 miles from me.

Regardless if you can hook the device, until the offical position that
Castlewood has taken to ignore Linux changes, I do not and will not
support the product and any problems it cause in the OS.

Jim (the person that purchased an ORB), I am sorry that I am forced to
hold this position. Since it is most likely based on SFF-xxxx docs that
are not valid not supported under the standards committee of T13 at this
time, I worry that it will not comply with the OS that follows ATA-ATAPI.

Cheers,

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:40:24PM -0600, Jim wrote:
>
> > I have a Castlewood ORB 2.2 GB EIDE drive that comes from the factory
> > configured as a fixed drive:
> >
> > Castlewood ships a Windows utility you can use to configure the drive
> > as removable. Since I don't do Windows, I've been looking for a way to
> > do this on Linux.
> >
> > I have contacted Castlewood support, and they have supplied me with
> > their EIDE OEM manual. I assume it contains the info I need to
> > reconfigure my drive as removable.
> >
> > My question: Is your "IDE command stuff", and your "small utility",
> > what I need to convince my ORB it is really a removable drive?
>
> To the second: no. To the first: possibly.
> If this manual is electronic I wouldnt mind a copy (mail to aeb@cwi.nl).
> If it is paper perhaps you can study it and quote me the relevant
> fragments. I conjecture that it wouldnt be difficult to produce a
> utility that does what you want.
>
> Andries
>
> -

Andre Hedrick