Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: System Administrator (dburr@black.cs.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 03:08:05 EST

>David Mosberger wrote:
>> Yes, no effort has been made to make the kernel build (or even
>> configuration) particularly easy for the common user. It's probably
>> time to start thinking about that. Any volunteers? Just having help
>> descriptions for the configuration options would be a very good start.
>
>You would probably be the most competent person to do this since you own
>the port.
Are you suggesting a userspace program called (for example) ./upgrade-kernel ?

My thoughts on the subject:
An X program connects to kernel.org (or nearest mirror (configurable)) looks in known directories
(such as /v2.2) and compares the output to a uname.
Give the user a list of upgraded kernels, they click, it downloads the patches, backs up /usr/src/linux
to /usr/src/linuxbak and patches the copy in ./linux.
Throws them to xconfig, user configures the kernel.

Then does the equivalent of a make install.

Is this what you were thinking of, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
(were you only referring to ia64?)

The concept above could be extended to have a list (would have to be maintained) to know about
patches (eg reiserfs, ia64)

DB