Re: how to recovery my NTFS partition

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:35:41 EST

Yipes! I have a program that will recover W2K NTFS volumes trashed by
Linux NTFS, but it's fairly tough to use, and you have to be careful.
It sounds like you wiped the volume manager stuff, but the FS data can
be recovered if you:

1. Alter the root MFT record to identify the FS as NT 4.0 format (W2K
will rebuild the Volume Manager Info).
2. Zap all 16 MFT entries with '0's except the MFT and MFT mirror and
upcase table (you can even zap this one) -- chkdsk will rebuild.
3. Remove all defined attributes except the data runs for the files.

All of these things can be performed with this tool, and the tool also
has all the NTFS on-disk structures defined, and will display them and
allow you to walk through the trashed volume and fix stuff.

This program runs under Windows, and was jointly written by
TRG/Microsoft with the help of David Goebel, the guy who wrote the
"real" NTFS. I can send you a **BINARY** version, but you cannot
distribute it or post it anywhere, or I can get in big trouble, but if
you are using MS technology, I am happy to help you fix your trashed
drive, and this utility is extremely useful. MS has given us permission
to help any of their customers with NTFS, so this will be OK.

We are happy to also provide this tool to those Linux folks who need to
track down NTFS problems, so anyone else out there who needs it, let us
know.

:-)

Jeff