Re: shrink_mmap() change in ac-21

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 14:00:51 EST

On 20 Jun 2000, Juan J. Quintela wrote:

>memory...) Perhaps it is too late to solve that problem for 2.4, but
>it appears that somebody needs to think a bit about the problem.

Incidentally I just thought about this and I fixed the problem at
2.3.99-pre2 time. With classzone design if nobody is doing a GFP_DMA
allocation (and nobody is doing that because as you said you don't have
soundcard and you don't use the floppy) then _nobody_ will ever to try to
take some page free from the DMA zone. The DMA zone can be shrink of
course but it will be considered as a whole with the NORMAL zone. Or see
it in another way: when you'll do a GFP_KERNEL allocation the kernel will
behave exactly if you would have only one zone (if you have less than 1
giga of ram of course).

Andrea