Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 13:34:02 EST

Jeff> Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> I don't see your point, I download the kernel from kernel.org and
>> apply David's patch and compile that - runs just fine.

Jeff> It compiles with tons of warnings and errors, and wipes several
Jeff> config options from .config that require the user to manually
Jeff> enter in the .config file. Once you've gotten past this point,
Jeff> it does run just fine. I think you should post David's patch on
Jeff> www.kernel.org so folks can get the whole thing from there if
Jeff> they choose. At present, unless you specifically know where to
Jeff> go to get the patch, and have downloaded SKI and NUE, some folks
Jeff> may not know where to get this patch.

Posting the patch constantly on the mailing list is damn right stupid,
it's a huge patch at times and it's easy enough for people who needs
it to download. When you download SKI & NUE you are pointed at the
place, besides most users of non x86 machines have already found out
that they have to download extras from other places, why should that
be any different for the ia64?

The config options differ because David and others have real hardware
and normally don't compile the kernel for the simulator - do you also
expect Linus' tree to compile out of the box for you without changing
any default option?

Jes