Re: knfsd and ext2? Huh?

From: Alexei I. Adamovich (lexa@adam.botik.ru)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 14:37:05 EST

Hans Reiser <hans@reiser.to> wrote on Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:38:14 -0700:
> "Alexei I. Adamovich" wrote:
> >
> > Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote on 19 Jun 2000 09:06:21 -0400 (EDT)

> > > 03:06/496185, count=-1012063976

> > > Seems it's a severe memory corruption. Notice the "count" part.
> > Yes, it's possible. Since the problem certainly isn't the hardware
> > one, this can mean that somebody assigned something like 0xc3ad2118
> > (==-1012063976) into the semaphore count. AFAIK it looks like some
> > pointer to the kernel memory space--so your guess looks like bright
> > one.
> > But also it can be an underflow--current processors are so fast
> > comparing to the total time the test had been running before kernel
> > issues this message (something like an hour or a half of an hour).
> > Anyway, I can trigger the problem only when Stress.sh is running over
> > knfsd-served nfs tree.
> I am confused, you say it could be bad memory but then it seems you argue to the
> contrary?
Thanks, Hans for pointing me. My apologies, I certainly mean software
problem here: Russian equivalent of "memory"+"corruption" can mean not
only bad memory, but also bad usage of memory by assigning non-appropriate
values to the memory locations.

The reason why I think it isn't the hardware but certainly software
problem is that these kernel-related problems are exposed on my
box--on several kernel versions--only when stress-testing local
knfs-exported nfs-mounted partition.

  Thanks,
   Alexei I.Adamovich