Re: (newbie) 2.4.0-test1

From: Christoph Brüninghaus (brueni@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 12:29:17 EST

** Michael Borrelli <mike@cc237069-b.brick1.nj.home.com> [190600 19:10]:
> I just compiled and installed the 2.4.0-test1 kernel this morning, but
> when I do a uname -a I still get that I'm running 2.2.16.
>
> I did make dep, make bzImage, make modules modules_install and then copied
> the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0 I updated my lilo.conf file and ran
> lilo to update the boot sector (the entry is listed when I hit TAB so I
> can only assume that it worked). When I select to start it though, I get
> what happened above.

Did you do all these things in the right directory?
Sometimes distributions habe a (linked) directory (called /usr/src/linux or
so), which points to the directory with the sources to compile (maybe
/usr/src/2.2.16).
If you copy the sources of 2.4.0 in a extra directory (/usr/src/2.4.0)and
compile in the symbolic directory, you compile the old (linked) sources.

You can correct the link or compile in /usr/src/2.4.0.

Chris

--
Bunte Liga Köln:
Dr. Reiner Klimke auf Ahlerich- Schönheit und Ausdauer 2:1