Re: (newbie) 2.4.0-test1

From: Jim (root@rjimlad.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 09:32:19 EST

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Michael Borrelli wrote:

> I just compiled and installed the 2.4.0-test1 kernel this morning, but
> when I do a uname -a I still get that I'm running 2.2.16.
>
> I did make dep, make bzImage, make modules modules_install and then copied
> the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0 I updated my lilo.conf file and ran
> lilo to update the boot sector (the entry is listed when I hit TAB so I
> can only assume that it worked). When I select to start it though, I get
> what happened above.

Hmm. Well, I have to ask the silly question: are you actually typing the
label of the new kernel image at the LILO prompt or are you just letting
it tick by and run the old kernel image?
In fact, a good choice is usually to do 'lilo -R <new image label>'
after updating lilo.conf and running lilo, since that will set the new
kernal as default only for the next reboot.

Jim Driscoll