Re: knfsd and ext2? Huh?

From: Alexei I. Adamovich (lexa@adam.botik.ru)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 10:36:34 EST

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote on 19 Jun 2000 09:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Alexei I. Adamovich wrote:
>
> > > Jun 15 10:33:38 adam kernel: iput: Aieee, semaphore in use inode
> 03:06/496185, count=-1012063976
> >
> > Seems, it's knfsd issue (03:06 is /dev/hda6). Am I right?
>
> Seems it's a severe memory corruption. Notice the "count" part.
 Yes, it's possible. Since the problem certainly isn't the hardware
one, this can mean that somebody assigned something like 0xc3ad2118
(==-1012063976) into the semaphore count. AFAIK it looks like some
pointer to the kernel memory space--so your guess looks like bright
one.
 But also it can be an underflow--current processors are so fast
comparing to the total time the test had been running before kernel
issues this message (something like an hour or a half of an hour).
 Anyway, I can trigger the problem only when Stress.sh is running over
knfsd-served nfs tree.

   Alexei I.Adamovich