Re: System.map

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 23:25:12 EST

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:38:50 -0700,
David Ford <david@kalifornia.com> wrote:
>"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
>> It's somewhat unfortunate that this is in /boot, since it isn't a file
>> requiring for booting. /boot is often a very small filesystem.
>Agreed. /boot is used in most of the programs that use the map file tho and not
>too many of the programs look in the /lib/modules dir.
>
>I don't think it'd be too difficult to convince the program maintainers to try
>something new tho.

<aol>Me Too</aol>. The amount of crud that gets stuck in /boot by
distributions is horrendous. /boot should contain boot loader stuff
only, i.e. second stage loaders, kernels and disk maps for the kernel
blocks. System.map and .config should go in /lib/modules/`uname -r`,
even on systems that have no modules. No need for a separate directory
like /lib/kernel, it would be just one more place to clean up.

Alas this is a distribution problem, all l-k can do is recommend a
standard.