Re: System.map

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 18:38:50 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> It's somewhat unfortunate that this is in /boot, since it isn't a file
> requiring for booting. /boot is often a very small filesystem.
>
> Modules, which also are kernel-specific, live in /lib/modules/`uname -r`.
> It would be better if System.map could live in a location like that;
> either /lib/modules or we should introduce a new /lib/kernel.

Agreed. /boot is used in most of the programs that use the map file tho and not
too many of the programs look in the /lib/modules dir.

I don't think it'd be too difficult to convince the program maintainers to try
something new tho. And since this mostly affects people who recompile kernels,
it's easy to tie the installation and use together.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was