Re: Linux 2.4.0-test1-ac16

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 11:24:23 EST

> > > DS20. Then I tried to update to ac17 and it won't compile any more. I get the
> > > following error with ac17:
> >
> > All the non x86 platforms got broken by the ptrace change. This fixes an ugly
> > kernel race and needs asm level changes for the other platforms. Painful
> > but important to do.
>
> An extremely shortsighted thing to do. The x86 platform isn't the only platform
> that runs Linux, and these sorts of changes should be done for ALL platforms
> at once, rather than fixing "ugly" kernel stuff (which should've been fixed
> before anyway) at the expense of non-x86 platforms.

Tough. Its up to you to fix the other platforms. Its always worked like this.
I am not playing nanny and co-ordinator to all the port maintainers. It broke
the PPC and Alpha folks have updated their ports. Either fix the sparc one
or wait until someone does. If I wait for all the maintainers then everyone
suffers. If we break ports now and then most of them don't.

The ptrace race is a real genuine bug. It had to be fixed.

Alan