Re: Linux 2.4.0-test1-ac16

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 11:35:52 EST

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 11:04:41AM -0500, Ed Carp wrote:
> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) writes:
>
> > > I was able to get ac15 to boot and run fine for about 18hrs crunching rc5 keys on a
> > > DS20. Then I tried to update to ac17 and it won't compile any more. I get the
> > > following error with ac17:
> >
> > All the non x86 platforms got broken by the ptrace change. This fixes an ugly
> > kernel race and needs asm level changes for the other platforms. Painful
> > but important to do.
>
> An extremely shortsighted thing to do. The x86 platform isn't the only platform
> that runs Linux, and these sorts of changes should be done for ALL platforms
> at once, rather than fixing "ugly" kernel stuff (which should've been fixed
> before anyway) at the expense of non-x86 platforms.
>
> Then again, since it's Alan's personal release, maybe it doesn't matter, as long
> as it gets fixed for all platforms by the time that 2.4 gets kicked out the
> door.

you don't understand. this is the normal way of doing changes which
require assembly or machine-specific changes. break the build on those
architectures then the port maintainers notice immediately and fix them.

(and word-wrap to 75 columns, not 80)

--
The Sex Pistols were revolutionaries.  The Bay City Rollers weren't.