Re: Value of Certifications

From: Alexander S A Kjeldaas (Alexander.Kjeldaas@fast.no)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 07:41:14 EST

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 12:57:53AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Certification will kill the development,

No

> once certified this means u have to freze, or get the money for the
> expensive certifications over and over again...

You may have to document all changes and have to follow certain rules
for how you change the kernel, but that doesn't need to be expensive,
nor does it have to hurt development. The only effect of having
companies step forward and document changes to stable kernel releases
should be that it would be more documentation available to new
developers.

> this will force the free software into the commercial hands of
> companies like SGI.

SGI and other evil commercial companies are actually perfect
companions to the free development of the linux kernel. Look at
certification as a type of documentation that's extremely boring to
write. Then think of the possibility of having a company like SGI fund
people to work on this extremely boring part while you can continue
working on your favorite part of the kernel. I really don't see the
downside of SGI's attempt at certify Linux.

astor

--
Alexander Kjeldaas                Mail:  astor@fast.no
Systems Engineer                  Web:   http://www.fast.no/