Re: For Alan Cox ...

From: Johan Kullstam (kullstam@ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 21:01:49 EST

Jerome Vouillon <vouillon@saul.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> writes:
>
> > This mail-site is listed in ORBS! Nothing was tested to see if a
> > server __really__ forwards mail! A simple test with VRFY with junk
> > would show that it really doesn't forward anything.
>
> So, what reason does ORBS give for putting this server in their
> database? You can get this from http://www.orbs.org/verify_1.html.
> I cannot check this myself because I don't know its IP address.
> Normally,
> - either they provide a copy of the mail they have been able to
> forward to themselves (see for instance
> http://www.orbs.org/messagelookup.php3?address=163.1.39.4?)
> - or they explain that the server deliberately blocks ORBS tester
> (try for instance 128.2.102.13).

but it is unfair to clobber people who block everything. until
recently i firewalled my incomming smtp port off. no one could even
*access* the port, much less relay through it.

i need to send directly from my machine since i cannot relay through
my isp. they are in orbs (for blocking their probes iirc). however,
i can receive mail just fine. because of orbs i have to allow access
to my mail server. this is my only exposed port. thus orbs causes a
reduction in my security.

i have to make sure to secure my mail server and i am now a known host
to the internet at large. i consider orbs to be a security threat.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]