Re: [patch] balanced highmem subsystem under pre7-9

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 11:12:20 EST

On 12 May 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> Your patch breaks my tests again (Which run fine for some time now on
> pre7):

Notsurprising, actually.

Never balancing highmem pages will also mean that they never get swapped
out. Which makes sense - why should we try to page anything out if we're
not interested in having any free pages for that zone?

So at some point the VM subsystem will just give up: 90% of the pages it
sees are unswappable, and it still cannot make room to free pages..

                Linus