RE: For Alan Cox ...

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 20:59:12 EST

> ORBS doesn't list you unless they receive back at least one of their
> relay test messages, which have magic cookies in them so they can
> identify which test message triggered the relay.

        If this were true, I would have no objection to ORBS, and this in fact how
they represent themselves. But that representation is in fact fraudulent.
They will list sites that they think are blocking their probes, even though
there is no way to establish this.

        One site I know of automatically firewalls off all 'fixed' sites that
attempt to pass mail with certain types of forged headers through it. As a
result, it winds up firewalling off the ORBS probers. It is certainly not a
'validated open mail relay' and it has never passed back a test message. It
remained in the ORBS list for months, despite several emails exchanged with
the ORBS folks. (It seems to be gone now though, so that's one good thing.)

        ORBS is rogue. Really.

        DS