Re: __commit_write() with the Page Cache

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 18:53:30 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> > Linus,

And one more thing. I have grabbed Steve Dodd's NTFS code, and I am
implementing a fully featured NTFS implementation on Linux. I've got
some bad news for you here, without the ability to post variable length
asynch IO requests, as are supported in Windows 2000, performance of
Linux NTFS vs. Native Windows 2000 NTFS will SUCK WIND and perform
poorly. Their entire AIO architecture is built on the concept of "file
runs" of variable lengths for R/W IO, and most of the performance tricks
in native NTFS are heavily dependent on this capability.

Using the Native NTFS journal method will infringe on several Microsoft
patents, so we have to implement our own, along with a user mode app
that will "wipe" the native NTFS journal file before a user attempts to
mount a Linux NTFS volume under W2K.

They also allow you to sleep on AIO callbacks, rather than call you from
an interrupt, as is being done in Linux. The AIO callback should
**ALWAYS** be allowed to sleep for failover and retry operations. The
current implementation should be changed to support this if you really
want a really hot NTFS driver on Linux.

Jeff