Re: PATCH: rewrite of invalidate_inode_pages

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 18:55:14 EST

> Trond, I have not an SMP machine (yet), and I can not tell you
> numbers now. I put the counter there to show that we *may*
> want to limit the latency there. I am thinking in the write of
> a big file, that can take a lot to free all the pages, but I

I'm pretty SMP-less myself at the moment (I'm visiting in Strasbourg
again), so I'm afraid I cannot run the test for you.

> By the way, while we are here, the only difference between
> truncate_inode_pages and invalidate_inode_pages is the one that
> you told here before? I am documenting some of the MM stuff,
> and your comments in that aspect are really wellcome. (You
> will have noted now that I am quite newbie here).

Well. As far as NFS and other non-disk based systems are concerned
that is the functional difference between the two. That and the fact
that truncate_inode_pages() takes an offset as an argument.

For disk-based systems, they are very different beasts, since
truncate_inode_pages() will also attempt to invalidate and/or wait on
any pending buffers on the pages it clears out.

Strictly speaking therefore, one should not confuse the two, however
truncate_inode_pages() is (ab)used as a sleeping substitute for
invalidate_inode_pages() by some of the icache pruning code in
fs/inode.c.

Cheers,
  Trond