RE: For Alan Cox ...

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 16:58:20 EST

> > I'm talking about the machines that are _not_ validated
> > open mail relays
> > that are still in the database that claims to be of "validated open mail
> > relays". The administrators of ORBS are quite literally rogue
> > and continue

> I've not met any except those in screened netblocks where orbs is being
> blocked from tests. And those blocks are identified differently
> IF you know
> how to use orbs of course

        ORBS in its recommended configuration blocks numerous hosts that are not
validated open mail relays. ORBS claims to be, "a _validated_ database of
open mail relays and open mail relay output points" (emphasis in original).
This is blatant misrepresentation.

        You can find this blatant fraud through ORBS web pages. Here's another such
misrepresentation (view it in context for yourself, you'll see that this is
pretty much the only advice they give you if ORBS happens to block your mail
server): "Your server has been added to the ORBS database because it has a
security problem: It permits non-authorized users on the Internet to connect
to it and send E-mail to anyone else on the Internet. This security hole is
often abused by junkmailers to relay mail to their victims (at your cost!)."

        It's really simple, if you say you are A but you are actually B, you are a
fraud. If you continue to do this willfully and knowingly, you are rogue. If
you use ORBS on your mail server to cut yourself off from the rest of the
world, you are unwise.

        DS