Trouble with ISDN link between two linux systems.

From: Nicholas Waltham (nwaltham@wwf.org.co)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 15:58:36 EST

I have been helping someone set up a dial on demand link between two
computers. One computer has an ASUSCOM NETWORK INC. ISDNLink 128K PC
adapter and the other a Winbond W6692 based card (it came in an ASUSCOM
box, but I am not sure what it really is). The kernel on the two
computers is Red Hat's 2.2.14-6.1.1. Dialing is from the Asuscom to the
Winbond. Dialind is controlled by Diald and ibod manages the second
channel. For about a week it worked fine - although I admit it wasn't
really used very heavily (I think this may have been under vanila 2.2.14
but cannot remember now). Later something went wrong with the ISDN line
which in the end proved to be a problem with the Telecoms provider. When
the ISDN line began to work again, we found that the link could only be
made once. We had experienced this problem with the Red Hat Kernel
2.2.12-20 but it went away when we upgraded to 2.2.14 vanilla. The
symptoms are that it dials and connects fine the first time, but once it
hung up, the connected could not be reestablished again without
unloading and reloading the modules on boths sides. Doing this on just
one side didn't help. I know the Winbond support is pretty new in the
Hisax driver, could there be a problem there? Has anyone else seen this
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas Waltham