Re: max ext2 fs size

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 14:34:17 EST

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 07:15:45PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> If you have >2TB of disk and run into this limit, it shouldn't
> be more than a minor inconvenience to move to a 64-bit
> platform. I don't want to imagine the fsck times on a 2 TB
> filesystem though ;)

    At that point you apply the ext3 patches

Journalling doesn't completely negate the need for running fsck from
time to time -- it just ensures the metadata is in what the kernel
thinks is apparently a reasonable state.

If the kernel goes nuts and craps all over the filesystem, or perhaps
if some application does something evil, you will still need to
fsck...

 --cw