Re: [2.2.15] "kernel: eth0: card reports no resources"

From: Jerry Lundström (jerry.lundstrom@citat.se)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 02:16:50 EST

On Wed, 10 May 2000 10:43:02 +0800, Andrey Savochkin <saw@saw.sw.com.sg> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:00:02PM -0400, Benjamin C.R. LaHaise wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 May 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Jerry Lundström wrote:
>>
>> > I get the "kernel: eth0: card reports no resources" about every
>> > 30 mins.
>>
>> This means that at some point during an interrupt, the driver was unable
>> to allocate memory for a receive buffer. If your system is under a heavy
>> VM load, that's certainly possible -- what kind of load is the system
>> under when these messages occur? A workaround for this could be to
>> increase the values in /proc/sys/vm/freepages, but if kswapd isn't keeping
>> up with the load (ie, it's not too heavy a load), it might need some more
>> tweaking.

Just as a note, the system is not on heavy load but I am running vmware and that
takes about half the mem (not including swap).

>It may also be a spurious report.
>It's proven that some hardware sets the corresponding bit in the status flag
>without any good reason (or at least I don't know reasons for these cases).
>When the allocation fails the driver should also report something like
>"can't fill rx buffer".
>
>So, if you see packet losts and network stalls it is the allocation
>problem. If you don't see visible problems, just ignore the messages.

I've got no visible problems what so ever, just wanted to know if it was a bug
or something like that.

Thanks for the info anyway! :)

--
Jerry.Lundström:<jerry.lundstrom@citat.se>:system.developer/programmer
icq.18682823:mobile+46.739.876053:phone+46.31.7107244:fax+46.31.7107201