Re: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 12:51:53 EST

Ron Van Dam (rvandam@liwave.com) writes:

> Enable Kernel Module signatures so any foriegn kernel modules will be
> refused. (to avoid Kernel Module hacking).

I don't understand the reason for this - either the permissions are set up
correctly in the file system for the module directory or they aren't. If they
are, then if a cracker gets past that, they've got your whole system anyway,
and if they aren't, you're screwed anyway.

Signatures don't make the kernel any more secure, they just give the illusion
of security - IMO, the worst possible kind.