Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Ron Van Dam (rvandam@liwave.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 11:17:24 EST

 From my understanding the main reason why the production releases of new
kernels is always delayed is because of the "just one more feature" problem.
What about creating two new development kernels (2.5 and 2.7) at the same
time and set fixed development goals of the 2.5 kernel before beginning
work. Anything outside of the 2.5 goals must go into 2.7.

For instance is someone wishes to begin support for a new processor which
will most likely take a long time to complete, they can work on the 2.7
kernel. Some one that wants to simply add new driver support for a standard
device (such as a new sound card, Ethernet Card, etc) can include their work
in the 2.5 kernel.

Obviously some effort would be duplicated, but perhaps some sort of process
or tools can be implemented to simplify management of two development
kernels. Maybe this idea is silly, but I though I would post it anyway

My 2.5/2.7 Kernel Wishlist:
   Built in support for Journaling file system(s)
   ACL's for file systems .
   Support data encryption for file systems with third-party loadable kernel
modules.
       (make it real easy to Include the support for encryption without
including actual encyrption algorithms).
   Sharing devices over a network (not justs Disks with NBD, serial ports,
sound cards, USB devices, etc)
      (Why buy multiple devices when I can share!)
   TCP intercept -- verifies TCP connections before passing on the
connection to userland. To prevent DoS and Spoofed attacks.
   Security integrity checking ( log if the system was booted with a
different kernel, log when kernel modules are loaded)
   Enable Kernel Module signatures so any foriegn kernel modules will be
refused. (to avoid Kernel Module hacking).

Ron