Help! Too many links - #define EXT2_LINK_MAX 32000 ?

From: apmail@modperlhelp.com
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 09:13:18 EST

OK, I ran into unexpected brick wall with our fast growing internet
service internettrash.com

We're getting a message of Too many links, when trying to create a
directory > 32000 To many accounts in one directory!

We have a solution, to break up into multiple directories and use apache
mod rewrite but it will take a few weeks to implement, have to change many
programs.

Question, how big of deal is it to increase max directories by about
5-10K so it gives us some time and breathing room...?

Is it a. extremely dangerous and will cause system to crash
      b. risky, some instability may occur.
      c. not a problem, system should be fine.
      d. dont know.

Thanks!