Re: Forwarding information base (sketch, & qs on trie)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:04:09 EST

   Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 03:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Arun Raghunath <rarun@rocketmail.com>

   i have a couple of questions:

   1. is this replacement (current scheme w/tries) likely to cause speedups
      overall? would the networking folks be interested in having a look at
      the patch?

   2. is someone trying to do something similar? i've tried searching a lot
      for it, but couldn't find any leads.

We've abandoned every amazing routing lookup scheme we've seen in
papers and elsewhere, as every one we've investigated was covered by a
hundred or so held or pending patents, making it quite useless under
Linux.

For ipv4, we believe Alexey's hash scheme is more than adequate, and
also it is free of patents :-) ipv6 is another story, the larger
128-bit primary search keys really want a tree/trie/whatever lookup
scheme.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com