Re: Forwarding information base (sketch, & qs on trie)

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 08:12:02 EST

Hello!

> 1. is this replacement (current scheme w/tries) likely to cause speedups
> overall?

Well, try to measure. Actually, I do not expect any immediate effect.
Routing cache buffers both the advantages and the flaws.

If your scheme does something more clever with route cloning
than existing ones, it has all the chances to survive.

> would the networking folks be interested in having a look at
> the patch?

Yes.

> 2. is someone trying to do something similar? i've tried searching a lot
> for it, but couldn't find any leads.

No, I think. Such work is not very sexy. 8)

> in the process of actually implementing the above (it's close to completion
> btw), i read the existing code, and constructed the following diagram for my own
> understanding. i figured it figures this figure find a better place than my home
> directory: i'm guessing (after corrections/ modifications/additions), this
> figure might be useful to more people! :-)

Mama mia, it looks pretty hairy. I've never seen it in the form of graph
before. 8)8)

Alexey