Re: set_fs_pwd/set_fs_root(tsk, NULL, NULL) are OK?

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 10:17:55 EST

Tigran Aivazian <tigran@veritas.com> said:

[...]

> Ok, I started to work on it but on the back of my mind there is still
> one unanswered question - do we force nullfs to be mounted somewhere
> (/nullfs ?) automatically on boot and make this little filesystem required
> non-modular built-in thing or do we make it modular and make sure users
> mount it if they need it (on the other hand *everybody* needs forced
> umount, e.g. to shutdown their systems if processes don't die in peace).

How about overloading chdir(2) so that chdir(NULL) just moves the processes
cwd to the (or a) non-directory? I don't believe there are valid cases of
chdir(NULL). Another possibility could be to use chroot(2), which forbids
the use by non-root (good idea, IMHO) in the same call. The non-dir cage
doesn't need to show up in the filesystem this way, thus killing the
posibilities of mistakes and screams about strange stuff being
automagically mounted. Makes sense too as it isn't really part of the
hierarchy.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl