Re: devfs persistence

From: Brian Kress (kressb@icp.siemens.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:12:41 EST

Richard Gooch wrote:

> What about LVM? And which would you think is a "cleaner" solution: MD
> or LVM?

        I'll chime in here, since I use both LVM and MD extensively.
For what you are talking about here, MD is the cleaner solution.
The kernel MD driver finds its disks automatically during boot before
userspace gets going. This means you can have root on raid without
any sort of initrd.
        LVM has to run a userspace program vgscan to load the location
of the lvm partitions into kernelspace. It does this by scanning
EVERY device in /dev for an LVM signature. While I really like LVM,
this part strikes me as rather unclean. Devfs does help with this
a bit, since then at least its not scanning non-existant devices. An
MD style kernel-based autodetect for LVM would be really nice, but I
think Heinz is really busy (since LVM 0.8 for 2.2.x still hasn't
shown up).
        I have systems that have root over lvm over raid, and that
gets really fun.
        While I'm here, anyone have a guess when RAID 1/4/5 for
2.3.x will show up? Even as a working patch?

Brian Kress
kressb@icp.siemens.com