Re: devfs persistence

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:33:17 EST

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:03:11AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

: > Let me reiterate.
: > Stephen: There is no place to put an UUID.
: > Andries: Use a Linux-type partition table.
: > Stephen: That is not a DOS-type partition table.
:
: That's not my point at all. My point here is "that's not
: a portable answer."

OK. Then I misjudged your reference to DOS-type partition tables.
That shortens our conversation to

Stephen: There is no place to put an UUID.
Andries: Use a Linux-type partition table.
Stephen: It is better to use Linux logical volumes.

That is a reasonable point of view.
(I disagree a bit, mostly because it is the wrong "level"
to put such information. It means that the code that decides
whether a disk has a certain volume label has to understand
all partitioning schemes in existence, and dig in the partition
table to find where LVM lives and then look there to find
a disk label.)

Andries