Re: devfs persistence

From: Stephen Harris (sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 18:05:25 EST

> Thus, you can identify the disk, or a partition on the disk,
> by contents rather than hardware access path.
>
> Some people like that, they can have it.

The problem I raised is when the hardware path is not well defined (eg on
a SAN, where disk addresses may change). For the hardware path to be well
defined we _need_ the concept of a WWN to be visible.

This is the concept I would like to see, and is why I consider putting a
raid0 header "inellegant".

Hmm... this is probably an orthoganal problem to devfs, so the subject line
is out of date :-) We need an addressing scheme that can handle changable
devices. devfs may give us a solution to this...

                                 Stephen Harris
                 sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk http://www.spuddy.org/
      The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
       My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
  * Meeeeow ! Call Spud the Cat on > 01708 442043 < for free Usenet access *