Re: [OT] an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: Mike Coleman (mcoleman2@kc.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 23:28:10 EST

"Jim Driscoll" <kernel@rjimlad.org.uk> writes:
> > I'd be interested to know why Richard doesn't encourage people to publish
> > their source code, personally...
>
> I think he's just griping about the term 'open source'.

I wouldn't call it a gripe. I believe he's making a careful distinction based
on a carefully thought out philosophical position. I happen to think he has a
point, but whether or not you agree, it doesn't seem correct to characterize
this as griping.

There's a second point here (which RMS may also be alluding to), which is that
it seems crazy to force someone to publish their software as Free Software (or
Open Source software, for that matter) as a punishment. If you want to punish
them, paint them blue and chain them to a Windows box.

Forced publication of API specs wouldn't be bad, though.

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.