Re: [OT] an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 01:40:16 EST

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Ian McKellar wrote:

> > I'd be interested to know why Richard doesn't encourage people to publish
> > their source code, personally...
> >
> Because simply making source code available doesn't do anyone any good. If
> Microsoft's software was made free (libre) then I think that would be a
> different matter.

Simply publishing the source (provided they aren't allowed to slap an NDA
on it, or anything like that) would help significantly with Windows. I was
talking about Richard's statement "I never suggest anyone should 'go open
source'".

> Empracing an extending Bob Young's analogy in his recent defense of Free
> Software (http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2560523,00.html), a
> proprietary application is like a car with the hood welded shut. Free
> software is like car hoods as we know them. Simply publishing the source code
> under a non-free license is like having a car with a perspex hood - thats
> welded shut (don't ask me how to weld perspex).

You can weld perspex, I think. Anyway: if all I want to do is look at the
source, why does it matter either way?

I wasn't really thinking in terms of Microsoft putting their CVS tree on
the Net, and starting up a "nt-kernel" mailing list for the public to join
in writing Service Pack 247 for them. In this case, what really matters is
*documenting* everything. Microsoft adopting an open source development
model isn't really the aim here.

James.