Re: Possible TCP Problem with RH6.2 talking to Solaris2.6/2.7 (fwd)

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 08:21:51 EST

>>>>> "James" == James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:

James> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Networking options ... IP: Allow large windows is enabled in > your
>> kernel build. This could be related to case 2?
>>
>> We will only offer 32K windows if the box the other end offers no
>> window scaling either way. This is because we care about
>> interworking with old equipment with sign handling bugs.

James> These Sun boxes certainly shouldn't fall into that category,
James> though, surely!

First thing to check is whether the socket buffers are set
appropriately, Linux defaults to a 64KB maximum which you need to
modify via /proc/sys/net/core/[rw]mem_max before doing the
setsockopt({SO_SNDBUF,SO_RCVBUF}). Without that you will never see
scaling offer by the Linux side.

Solaris 2.6 and above will do scaling per default if the socket
buffers are set appropriately afaik. Solaris 2.5.x will fail miserably
if offered a scaled window though.

Jes