Re: classzone-VM + mapped pages out of lru_cache

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 05:11:55 EST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Craig Kulesa wrote:

>... the classzone-18 patch has caused _innumerable_ lockups of my
>machine -- all of them relating to mail programs so far. Both 'pine'
>(ver 4.21) and 'mutt' cause very reproduceable and _instantaneous_ hard
>lockups if I attempt to expunge messages from the mail spool or compose a
>new message. A simple test, editing a file from pine's editor 'pico'
>(ver 3.7) caused a lockup upon writing the output file.
>
>No oopses, no messages, just instant death[TM].
>
>Not pretty. Has anyone else been able to reproduce this? This is

No, it always been apparently rock solid so far (my brother worked one day
with such kernel on top of SMP being careful to not touch /proc and he
didn't reported me problems with kde/emacs/netscape but he wasn't using
mails/pico/pine so I'll try it out now...).

>unfortunate, since performance while the machine is actually alive
>seems quite good.

No panic, I'll fix that as soon as I'll be able to reproduce ;).

>Configuration info is at http://loke.as.arizona.edu/~ckulesa/config

Thanks. Could you also privately send me by email your binary bzImage so
that I can try it out and see if it obviously breaks here too?

Andrea