Re: [RFC] Should /proc/(foo) be /etc/dynamic/(foo) ?

From: Alexander Demenshin (aldem-linux@aldem.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 15:46:40 EST

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 12:01:52PM -0400, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> With a properly working devfs mounted at /devices, and a nicely-organized
> and complete /config filesystem, you get a system that's much nicer to
> administer.

  Aha... Add GUI and it will look like Win2000 ;))

> the kernel code handle that, if it wants to put the "magic files" at
> /config/dynamic, and there is no /config mountpoint?

  Hmm... What about "implicit mounting"? I mean - it should not be necessary
  to mount a file system somewhere in _existing_ file structure.

  Just do it - Virtual Name Space (VNS):

        mount --vns /some/device/etc /completely/non-existent/path

  Would be nice, eh? :) At least in presence of special option, to force
  it if it does not exist. If it _does_ exist - the old content will not
  be used anyway, so we lose nothing, IMHO.

  I personally hate this (current) idea - to use existing paths as mountpoints
  (once I forgot to move content from mountpoint, and... it took several hours
  to find out where it is :))).

/Al