Submitting patches (was: Re: problems with readdir in isofs in recent kernels)

From: Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 17:33:27 EST

Linus Torvalds spake thus:

> What I'm getting at is that if you have the patch, then please re-post.
> In fact, cc'ing me is a good idea. And if at first you don't succeed,
> try and try again..

One partial solution to this problem, at least for patches, would be
creating a "linux-kernel-patches@vger.rutgers.edu" which would just add a
"Sender: owner-linux-kernel-patches@..." to the header and forward it to
linux-kernel@. This way, people could sort patches into a different folder
or just "score" them in some way, and it would be easier for everyone to
catch patches. (Sorting on "^Cc:.*torvalds@transmeta.com.*" is just plain
old stupid :)

Comments to patches could be handled by forwarding anything matching
"^Subject:.*Re:.*" to linux-kernel and _not_ adding the "Sender:" header
from linux-kernel-patches, possibly also doing a little forgery by doing a
s/linux-kernel-patches/linux-kernel/g or something on the To: and Cc:
fields.

I am of course aware that this solution would not be able to catch all
patches (think about patches posted as replies to questions or other
patches), and it also scores about 9.5 on the 1-10 ugliness scale but I
believe it could help. At least if somebody not me gave it some extra
thought and people could be persuaded into using this system.

I do not think we should need to lose good kernel patches just because
everyone can't be a high availability gnome cluster.

Just my NKR 0.14.

Oystein