Re: an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 15:01:29 EST

I suggest you work on making the text somewhat shorter and crisper; it
will be more persuasive that way. Many of the paragraphs are long and
express mainly a sense of resentment; I think the feeling is
justified, but I don't think it is the best way to persuade a judge.

However, I am no expert. If you want to actually submit this as a
friend of the court brief, it is essential to get help from a lawyer
who is experienced in such matters (perhaps a law professor). The
lawyer can tell you how to format and submit this properly, and
probably give other useful advice about how to make the contents more
effective and persuasive.

I proposed other remedies that I think would be more beneficial to
free software development than releasing the Windows source code. The
URL might be http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/microsoft-remedies.html; if
not, look for it in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you would mention the term "free software"
alongside "open source". Nowadays, the Free Software Movements's
idealism tends to get forgotten with all the attention given to the
well-publicized Open Source Movement. For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.