Re: Promise card no longer work as ide0/1?

From: Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:59:10 EST

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> No, you have a clear understanding; however, (you knew this was coming)
> there is a bit of mystery about the magic powers of ide0/ide1.
> This has everything to do with LILO and booting.

This would all make perfect sense in application to my problem. However,
in my situation, there _is no onboard controller_.

> Since ide0/ide1 are generally assumed to be the onboard chipset, you have
> to grant powers of authority to these interfaces. Thus there is a need to
> preserve/reserve these intefaces for "LILO and booting".

Making an exception in order always make on-board IDE interfaces come
first doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I'll accept that as
convention. It still doesn't explain why I have no on-board interfaces
and yet my "off-board" controller is still showing up as if I did have
on-board interfaces.

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y

I'll try this. But I don't understand why the option applies if there is
only offboard controllers.

> Then disable the onboard chipset/host in the BIOS.

Again, there's nothing to disable. They don't exist.

I understand the general workings of scanning for PCI devices (yes, my
token ring drivers need to be updated to some parts of the new interface
-- Jeff reminded of that :). However, what I was not understanding is why
there is a special case for (in my case, non-existant) on-board IDE
controllers. (And why that special case still happens even when on-board
controllers don't exist.)

I still have one question: everything worked to my liking in the early
2.3's. Why did the behavior switch to being able to give promises' ide0
in early 2.3 and then change back? (The last kernel I was running on this
machine was 2.3.10. Uptime 95+ days.)

Also, what happens when you disable an IDE interface in BIOS on a machine
that really does have them? Do they just appear in the PCI scan as
'disabled' or do they disappear altogether?

af

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx }