Re: Promise card no longer work as ide0/1?

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 19:10:51 EST

Hi Andre.

>> Ah, thanks. Is there a good reason why ide interfaces
>> aren't assigned in numerical order? (like net interfaces,
>> etc)

> Try moving the NIC order around and keeping the assocaiated
> cable with each card constant. You NIC setup will fail.

> Lets define "numerical order".

> I want you to explain to me and the list what you think it
> is. I will add to your answer based upon other actions
> taken by the kernel.

I'm not sure whether you're asking about NIC or IDE here, and if
it's the latter, I'm not sure myself what "numerical order" might
mean either.

However, if it's referring to NIC's, then I would say "ascending
order of hardware address" would be a reasonable choice...

> This is an exercise to share knowledge, not to belittle.
> Many have asked my why and I have never been able to
> clearly explain it. Here is an opportunity to get the
> answer out.

Very true.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.