Re: stuck on TLB IPI wait (CPU

From: Bill Anderson (bill@libc.org)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 01:17:17 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > > The "Stuck" message seems to appear only during heavy disk or network
> > > activity.
> > >
> > > Since the message only appears in the Reiserfs, we know the culprit ;-)
> >
> > Not neccessarily.
> > I get this on a 2.2.14 kernel with no ReiserFS ... frequently.
> > This wasn't happening on the 2.2.13ac3 kernel I was running. I really
> > hate having to hit that reset button...
>
> When its followed by needing to reset the machine then its because the other
> CPU crashed or is spinning on a lock. Typically thats a kernel bug

Well, I'd like to provide as much debug-friendly info as I can.
Basaically, it worked perfectly with 2.2.13ac3, but was horrendous on
2.2.10/11/12 and now 14.

All I see is the messages spewing forth about being stuck in TLB IPI
wait queue, with the machine non-responsive, until it locks hard.
sometimes, if I am lucky, I can get a Magic SysRq sequence to bring it
down ... and sometimes it actually works. Most of the time, it just
locks up.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to matter when it happens. IOW, it
happens sitting idle, or in any load level. I am running a kernel
recompiled from RH's modified sources, and using RAID 0. No Additional
patches added. I was going to try ReiserFS, but with the reports of
this problem on machines with it, I figure I have enough problems. :|

Anything I can do to help track and destroy this bug, let me know.