Re: kswapd @ 60-80% CPU during heavy HD i/o.

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 10:11:12 EST

On 1 May 2000, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> Oystein Viggen wrote:
> > Matthew Dharm wrote:
> >
> > > I can confirm similar behavior on my system as well. I'm running
> > > 2.3.99-pre7. I was doing a diff of two kernel trees and kswapd started
> > > eating CPU like no tomorrow.
> >
> > Actually, I can reproduce the exact same problem by just dd'ing a lot from
> > /dev/zero to some other file on a UDMA/33 disk on my K6-2 350 with an Asus
> > p5a motherboard (ali aladdin chipset). This is on 2.3.99-pre6. I did not
> > notice this on pre5

> When the dd was almost half done, the whole computer froze until
> the process was almost done. In this time user input was
> impossible and some net connections died, probably from timeout.
>
> As a sidenode, non-I/O bound processes (ie quakeworld) seem to
> run just fine with no noticeable speed loss.

What people may want to try is using the old order of aging
and chosing which pages to evict in shrink_mmap(). It is
slightly broken and gives worse performance for "normal"
workload, but maybe it gives better performance for heavy
IO bound workloads.

OTOH, maybe it doesn't help at all and the combination of
zoned allocation and global page replacement is too cpu
hungry. Then again, not doing global page replacement just
isn't good either....

(except maybe an "emergency" reclaim-from-one-zone-only mode
combined with a weighed round-robin reclaim from all zones
until one of them reaches zone->pages_high???)

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/