Re: kswapd @ 60-80% CPU during heavy HD i/o.

From: Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 07:53:53 EST

Oystein Viggen wrote:

> Matthew Dharm wrote:
>
> > I can confirm similar behavior on my system as well. I'm running
> > 2.3.99-pre7. I was doing a diff of two kernel trees and kswapd started
> > eating CPU like no tomorrow.
>
> Actually, I can reproduce the exact same problem by just dd'ing a lot from
> /dev/zero to some other file on a UDMA/33 disk on my K6-2 350 with an Asus
> p5a motherboard (ali aladdin chipset). This is on 2.3.99-pre6. I did not
> notice this on pre5
>
> One strange thing is that with pre6, 16k of my swap space is used. With
> 256MB ram, I usually use no swap at all. Right now free(1) tells me that I
> am using about 34MB ram (buffers/cache included), but 16k swap is used
> nonetheless.

Further testing using the command "dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=1024"
while running top on 2.3.99-pre7-1 still makes kswapd cpu usage go through
the roof, but I can also see that quite a lot (approx 30MB) of swap is
used. This number gradually grows while the dd is running.

When the dd was almost half done, the whole computer froze until the
process was almost done. In this time user input was impossible and some
net connections died, probably from timeout.

As a sidenode, non-I/O bound processes (ie quakeworld) seem to run just
fine with no noticeable speed loss.

Oystein