Re: Reading the BSD partition table from Linux/Intel

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 09:31:03 EST

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, G. Hugh Song wrote:

> > If using 2.3.x kernels you need to enable CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION to access
> > SRM-compatible disks prepared on Alpha. The kernel will be able to mount
> > these partitions then.
>
> I'd like to comment that "OSF_PARTITION" may confuse many including me.
> It would have been better if the option title were "SRMBOOT_PARTITION".

 Hmm, actually the most appropriate description for this kind of a
disklabel is a "4.3BSD Tahoe disklabel". This is a standard format of
disklabels that has been introduced by that release of BSD Unix as an
effort to standarize disk partitioning and is used by many BSD
derivatives, such as OSF/1, Mach, NetBSD and others, for various
platforms, including but not limited to Alpha systems.

 I don't actually think the name of the option needs a change here; the
description within Configure.help might probably be clarified, though.

> It is quite frustrasting to accept this as a Linux/Alpha user.
> Even those MacIntosh file systems are readable under Linux/i386.
> I think that there are more cases of rescue operation with OSF_RARTITION
> rather than those with the MacIntosh_PARTITION.

 You do not need fdisk for mounting filesystems -- the kernel will see
them fine. You only need fdisk (or minlabel) to view or change a layout
of partitions.