Re: apic in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Gerard Sharp (gsharp@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:54:51 EST

Frank Mehnert wrote:

> The APIC can be enabled by writing a machine status register (MSR 0x1B
> bit 0xb). After enabling the APIC, it emulates an i8259 and has to
> be programmed correct to get interrupts.

Given this, is it worth any effort for me to attempt to get the APIC alive and
responding?
Ie, will I notice any improvement in speed or stability.

Also, I am noticing several "issues" which appear to be interrupt-related in the
2.3 series; such as fbcon updates causing sound to skip; and a whole batch of
Network Card troubles; Would APIC help or hinder with these "issues" ?

> Frank

Gerard Sharp