Re: Announce: modutils 2.3.11 is available - the debugger's helpe r

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:05:21 EST

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:27:56 -0400,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
>Jamie Lokier wrote:
>> I think this would be ok _if_ all the USB driver names started with
>> "usb-". E.g., acm.o should be renamed usb-acm.o.
>
>I think this will continue to be a problem that crops up, as the number
>of subsystems increases. I wonder if this sort of format is
>desireable. It does mean deciding on a standard sub-directory in which
>all modules of that type will be found:
>
>modprobe usb/acm

No can do. "modprobe name" means scan all the configured module
directories, looking for name.o or just name. "modprobe path/name"
loads path/name, no searching and no '.o' append. "modprobe usb/acm"
means load file acm (not acm.o) from directory ./usb. I'm not going to
change those semantics.

Having the user specify which directory the module is in will cause
problems as modules move around. There have already been problems
caused by developers deciding to rename modules or move them from one
directory to another. And that is not even considering the broken
modules_install algorithm which can put modules in the wrong
directories.

Ideally all modules should have unique names. But if you end up with
duplicates, use -t. "modprobe -t usb acm".