Re: devfs persistence

From: Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 23:16:16 EST

> > For example lets say that we bring down a machine and durring this
> > time there is a LIP on our FCAL and two of the drives swap id's,
> > then on reboot the system thinks the drive that was used for /home
> > is / and the drive for / is /home
>
> What is "LIP"?

Loop Initialization Primitive- it can cause the actual local loop address for
a device to change- which will then change the 'target' id (target is a more
virtual concept for FCP-SCSI).

> We use labels to solve this.

That's fine insofar as it goes, but if you have a naming schema that has a
bus address as part of it, if the address can change dynamically, that can be
an issue. I think that labels are a good idea- you end up not caring what
address something is at. And UUIDs or other device unique information is good
solid naming stuff.