Re: IO scheduling problem in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 12:03:32 EST

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Shane Shrybman wrote:

> I am testing kernel 2.3.99pre6-7 + Rik's latest VM patch. This patch
> is a improvement over other .99 kernels. However, I am seeing poor
> performance during bonnie runs. I have put my vmstat log of a
> bonnie -s 150 run at: http://zeke.yi.org/linux/2.3.99p6.7-rvr4/

> During the run the system became sluggish and wasn't able to
> keep up my mouse movements. Top showed that kswapd was very busy
> and consuming a lot of cpu - up to 90%, but usually between 30%
> and 60%. Also, bonnie reported a very good block read
> rate(~10MB/s) but, very slow block write rate(~2MB/s).
>
> I hope this info is of some use, of course more info is
> available on request.

This is very useful information. Due to the lack of a big test
machine and the availability of many alternative ways of coding
the beast, I have mostly tested "real" workloads.

I'll try to fix the bonnie thing ASAP...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/